Most sport-related pain in the foot is related to either injury or overuse/overtraining or repetitive stress. Injuries are common among athletes competing at all levels. If left untreated or ignored, many of these injuries can pose long term disability and chronic pain. Whether you’re a pro athlete or a weekend warrior, many of these injuries can be addressed without surgical intervention.
Some of the most common sports-related foot and ankle injuries include, but are not limited to:
- Achilles tendinitis, tendinosis, or rupture – pain in the strongest tendon within the back of the foot/leg
- Plantar fasciitis – inflammation and pain of the ligament on the bottom of the foot
- Ankle sprains – an overstretching of the ligaments of the ankle joint
- Stress fractures – an oversue injury that results in a small crack to the bone
- Neuroma – a painful growth on a nerve
- Heel spurs – bony growths on the bone of the heel